Asylum Lawyers in Alexandria
Knowledgeable Legal Team Serving Virginia, Maryland, & Washington D.C.
At Tesfaye Law, our team is dedicated to serving the needs of foreign nationals, and we have years of experience representing individuals seeking asylum in the U.S. If you would like to learn more about asylum and determine if you qualify, schedule a free 20-minute consultation with our Alexandria attorneys.
The U.S. Asylum Process
Individuals who cannot return to their native countries for fear of persecution based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or membership in a political or social group may be eligible for asylum status and, eventually, permanent residency.
The process involves filing an application for asylum and disclosing detailed information concerning:
- Past activities
- Experiences of persecution
- Conditions in the country of origin
- Fear of future persecution
To qualify, an individual must request political asylum within their first year in the United States. Once granted political asylum, a foreign national may then apply for lawful permanent residence by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
Affirmative Vs. Defensive Asylum
In the U.S., these are the two primary paths of obtaining asylum:
- Affirmative asylum – Asylum seekers who have not been placed in removal proceedings can submit an application for asylum to an immigration office. The process involves an interview that takes place in a non-courtroom setting before a USCIS asylum officer. As long as individuals are physically present in the U.S., they may apply for asylum, regardless of how they arrived in the country or their current immigration status.
- Defensive asylum – Those who have already been placed in removal proceedings for immigration violations must file a defensive application for asylum. This path of asylum involves the individual appearing before an Immigration Judge with the Executive Office for Immigration Review. In this case, the asylum seeker is requesting to remain in the U.S. as a defense against deportation. The decision of eligibility is left to the Immigration Judge. If the Immigration Judge rules that the applicant is ineligible for asylum and that they do not qualify for any other forms of removal relief, he or she will give an order to remove the individual from the country.
Get Skilled Legal Guidance for Your Immigration Matter
If you are seeking asylum and eventually permanent residence, it is imperative that you contact a knowledgeable immigration attorney. Even the smallest mistake on paperwork or one missed deadline may hinder your chances of obtaining lawful status or receiving a Green Card. Our immigration attorneys can advise you on the right course of action and assist with the preparation of all forms and supporting documentation. We are available throughout the length of the application process to answer your questions and address any issues that may arise.
Do you want your legal issue to be as painless as possible? No one wants to spend more time than they need to in a courtroom. Let us utilize our high-powered strategies and resources to advocate for your rights and resolve your matter as efficiently as possible. We have a track record of delivering exceptional support to each and every client, and we want you to benefit from this level of service.
Without a doubt I would recommend him to anyone looking for Legal advisory- Gamal G.
I would like to highlight three words: Highly Professional, Knowledgeable and Result Oriented.- Farhan C.
I wish there was enough words to explain how brilliant this attorney is.- Stephen K.
We greatly appreciate him and we highly recommend his service.- Valerie G.
Presented to me all the possible scenarios with honesty, sincerity and professionalism.- Jamal K.