Alexandria Estate Planning Lawyers
Representing Clients in Virginia & Washington D.C.
Developing a robust estate plan is an important step in protecting you and your future’s future. Understanding and leverage estate planning resources can ensure your wishes are honored once you pass away. We realize considering what will happen to you, your property, and your loved ones once you are gone can be an uncomfortable subject, but our team at Tesfaye Law is determined to make the estate planning process as efficient and painless as possible.
Our estate planning attorneys in Northern Virginia will work with you to develop a robust, carefully structured estate plan that protects your assets and interests. This will include determining who receives what portion of their estate, when they receive it, and under what circumstances. We can also analyze your estate to identify any potential tax implications, including federal estate taxes, that might require special consideration. Our team will make recommendations to help avoid situations where your assets are tied up in probate, a costly and protracted process that can represent additional hardship for your loved ones.
Our goal is to help you feel confident about the plan you are leaving behind. In your initial consultation, we will assess your estate planning goals and advise on what tools can help accomplish them. We are committed to building lasting relationships with our clients and can continue to work with you to make timely updates that work to continue to protect your interests.
Estate planning looks different for each client and must be tailored to their specific needs. It typically consists of several documents, including:
- Revocable Trusts
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Powers of Attorney
- Advance Medical Directives
- Nomination of Guardians for Minor Children
At Tesfaye Law, we believe estate planning is not just for the wealthy or the elderly. Estate planning is for everyone. If someone dies without a will, the estate will be distributed according to the laws of the state, which may not match that person’s preferences.
This is especially true when a person:
- Is single
- Is part of a blended family
- Has minor children
- Has family members with disabilities
- Wants to leave assets to a non-family member or charity
Proper estate planning ensures that a client’s wishes are clearly expressed. It also reduces family disputes and helps loved ones grieve without having to worry about the decedent’s intentions.
We understand that the thought of estate planning is overwhelming for most people. We hope to relieve any potential anxiety by educating our clients on their options and enabling them to make confident, informed decisions. We find that many of our clients have concerns beyond their assets, such as wanting to pass on their legacy and values in addition to their material wealth. We work with the entire family to ensure that this transfer is in accordance with the client’s wishes and is with minimal conflict and stress.
The Estate Planning Process at Tesfaye Law
As every client’s needs are different, the process described below may not exactly resemble your experience. Generally speaking, we use the following five steps to create an estate plan that is perfectly tailored to your needs.
- Schedule an initial consultation. Please call our office at (703) 454-8865 or book an appointment through our website. We offer in depth consultations to new clients. In addition to regular office hours, appointments are also available on select evenings and weekends.
- The First Meeting. The first meeting will last between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on the complexity of your assets and situation. In this meeting, we hope to educate you on the probate process in addition to your options for avoiding probate. Our goal is to enable you to make thoughtful, well-informed decisions guided by our legal advice. After reviewing your assets and priorities, we will present the various estate planning options and will generally quote a fixed fee for each option. If you decide to retain us, we will either immediately begin the Planning Meeting or schedule a time for this meeting.
- The Planning Meeting. In this meeting, we begin the process of creating your unique, custom-made plan. Each client’s plan is different, just as each client’s needs and family situations are different. At the end of this meeting, we will schedule the Signing Meeting, which is usually about 4 weeks after the Planning Meeting. Within 10 days of the Planning Meeting, we will contact you to confirm details of your plans and follow up on missing information.
- The Signing Meeting. During this meeting, we will review all of the documents together. We take our time going through each document and make sure to answer any lingering questions you may have. After reviewing and approving everything, you will sign all documents while we ensure that all legal formalities are observed. We will also explain the steps you must take to retitle and transfer all assets, if necessary. At the conclusion of this meeting, we will schedule the final meeting.
- Follow-Up Meeting. In this meeting, we will present you with the original documents, copies of all documents, and any letters to fiduciaries. We will also confirm that all assets have been retitled and transferred. We invite you to bring your family or close friends to this meeting in case they have any questions about the estate plan. We understand that estate planning is about more than material things, and we hope to help you pass on your legacy and values to the next generation.
Do you want your legal issue to be as painless as possible? No one wants to spend more time than they need to in a courtroom. Let us utilize our high-powered strategies and resources to advocate for your rights and resolve your matter as efficiently as possible. We have a track record of delivering exceptional support to each and every client, and we want you to benefit from this level of service.
This is the law firm you want!- G. Singh
Without a doubt I would recommend him to anyone looking for Legal advisory- Gamal G.
I would like to highlight three words: Highly Professional, Knowledgeable and Result Oriented.- Farhan C.
I wish there was enough words to explain how brilliant this attorney is.- Stephen K.
We greatly appreciate him and we highly recommend his service.- Valerie G.